Corpus Christi, Texas

We had our pet's teeth cleaned a little over a year ago at this Banfield hospital in Corpus Christi, Texas, and now find out that they did such a poor job of cleaning, that we have to go to a real veterinarian to have it done again, for another fee. Beware of this place, for the old adage that you get what you pay for certainly applies here. When we contacted their corporate office, all we received was a brush-off, for apparently, this is operated as a franchise, and the only thing the corporate office does is forward complaints, and assumes no responsibility.

Comments

"a real veterinarian" wtf is that supposed to mean? lol

alfonso2014

Billy, Now you're referring to me as ignorant and paranoid. Insulting people only makes you a weaker person.

Some day when you decide not to insult people when trying to emphasize your point, why don't you rejoin the discussion.

Hope Banfield is good to you.

@alfonso2014

Dude, paranoid much???? All these people seem to be trying to politely explain how it is very possible, even common, that tartar can build up again in a year & all you want to do is bash them & say how that because they disagree with you & have some education that they must work for Banfield. Take some advice, do some research onto dental care & a have freaking chill pill dude!!

alfonso2014

Getting tired of all you veterinary assistants, probably employed by Banfield taking a defensive position to defend sloppy workmanship. If you are all so super intelligent, please explain why my dog's teeth didn't need cleaning until he was nine years old, but needed a second cleaning within less than a year after the cleaning.

The reason? SLOPPY WORKMANSHIP!! If you think Banfield'w record is so spotless, look at the other comments on this website. The problem is that Banfield appears to be one of those companies that looks for a quick buck and doesn't care how they get it.

End of story.

@alfonso2014

"If you are all so super intelligent, please explain why my dog's teeth didn't need cleaning until he was nine years old, but needed a second cleaning within less than a year after the cleaning."

Most likely due to age-related changes, as someone already mentioned. Also, it may be possible that the dental disease was overlooked at the previous hospital, and that had it been addressed earlier, your dog would STILL have needed another dental cleaning a year after that.

It's EXTREMELY common for dogs to accumulate A LOT of buildup in under a year. I've seen many patients who need to come in every 6 months due to rapid and severe calculus accumulation.

I would say your new vet doesn't really have an understanding about this, and I may be cautious if he/she is telling you that the need for another cleaning is due to "sloppy workmanship" - this says to me that either your new vet doesn't understand how fast SEVERE calculus can build up, or your new vet is trying to bash your old one and market himself/herself as superior in order to gain your loyalty.

PS - I don't work for Banfield, but have cleaned hundreds of teeth.

@Billy

The quickest way to tell if someone is lying is when they vehemently deny all knowledge. Your P.S.

comment gives you away. Does Banfield pay you extra to write responses on this website?

@alfonso2014

Paranoid much? I honestly DO NOT work for a Banfield.

If I did, I'd admit it. I worked at one a few years ago, but I hated it because my manager (not a vet) was an evil woman, so I left as soon as I found a job at another hospital.

Also, "vehemently denying" and leaving a "PS" comment at the end are two totally different things. I'm not trying to defend BANFIELD, I'm trying to address your lack of knowledge.

alfonso2014

It sounds very much to me that the person that is doing the criticism is the veterinarian/tech in question, trying to justify their position in this situation with a plethora of facts not normally indicative of an average animal owner. Here's another fact for you, Mr.

veterinarian/tech. My dog survived the first 10 years of his life without a cleaning, because of my good maintenance. When I had them cleaned a second time in less than a year by a real vet, he said that the plaque buildup he discovered during the cleaning could in no way have happened in just a year, and that the cleaning done previously was of very poor quality.

My comments about what a bad job Banfield did still stand. Is this how Banfield operates is to have one of their personnel justify their sloppy work with lame excuses, on this website?

@alfonso2014

For the record, I was a tech for years before starting the path to becoming a veterinarian. I used to work at Banfield, and I have a grievance with them, that is why I stumbled across this website.

I happened upon your review and as I've heard this before, "my dog needs ANOTHER cleaning? It's only been a year! You must have done a bad job the first time," I decided to address some misinformation. FYI - I didn't like working for Banfield.

The people I worked with were great and very talented, but I had some problems with people higher up in the food chain. I'm not trying to defend them as a company, but merely impart upon you some information that I've gained in my experience.

I've done hundreds of dental cleanings. I've had patients who went their whole lives without a cleaning, then suddenly they needed cleanings every year. This can be due to many things including diet change or simply age-related changes.

MANY times I saw dogs come in a year after a cleaning, and the tartar buildup was JUST AS BAD as it was before their cleaning a year ago. I know that it wasn't a substandard cleaning the first time, because either myself or another tech had done it, and we were very thorough and always had our work thoroughly inspected by the doctor. I always made sure every single piece of tartar and calculus were removed, even in the nooks and crannies. Also, cleaning a dog's teeth isn't really that difficult.

I can't imagine a tech just leaving tartar and calculus there. There's no reason not to remove it. Even the biggest calculus accumulations are easily removed with a calculus remover and ultrasonic scaler. So your veterinarian was wrong, that amount of plaque absolutely can and does buildup in a year.

I've seen it MANY TIMES. Also, as I mentioned earlier, brushing twice a week isn't going to prevent tartar buildup as it will harden within 24 hours.

That being said, I wasn't there so I can't say with 100% certainty that the people at Banfield did a good job. All I can say is that your vet was wrong in his assumption that a huge amount of calculus can't accumulate in a year's time. There's absolutely no way to assess the quality of a dental cleaning that was done one year ago due to the rapid rate with which tartar can accumulate.

With that huge misunderstanding on his part, I would be cautious to trust his word on someone else's work. Take it as you wish. I'm not trying to encourage you to return to Banfield.

In my opinion, they are always overbooked and understaffed, leading to high wait times. If anything constructive should come of this, it should be that perhaps your pet needs more aggressive preventive dental care (like once a day brushings).

I also forgot to say that food particles and bacteria can accumulate on your dogs teeth and harden to tartar or calculus in just 24 hours. You can't remove calculus with regular brushing, only scaling by a vet when your dog gets a dental. That's why brushing only twice a week isn't sufficient.

alfonso2014

Clarification to all your commenters about my post. My dog's teeth get religiously brushed twice a week, so stop making snide comments with erroneous suppositions. Why do people always want to criticize a factual presentation with their own biased interpretation of facts not in evidence?

@alfonso2014

Regardless, some dogs need cleanings every year. I brush my teeth twice a day, but I still need a cleaning every year. Also, twice a week isn't frequent enough to keep plague buildup away.

@alfonso2014

"Why do people always want to criticize a factual presentation with their own biased interpretation of facts not in evidence?"

Isn't this how your post started? IE YOUR biased interpretation of facts not in evidence?

It's entirely possible that your pet received inadequate care during his dental cleaning.

However, veterinarians don't generally go to school for 8 years + and put themselves hugely in debt to do shoddy work. That said, its FAR more likely that the next veterinarian you went to was insightful enough to tell you what you wanted hear in order to retain you as a client.

Call around to other veterinary clinics and ask what kind of information can be ascertained about the quality of a routine dental cleaning ONE YEAR after it was performed. You will most likely get the "real" answer rather than the one you are looking for.

Teeth cleaning doesn't last very long if you don't do anything to maintain it. You have to brush your dogs teeth after a teeth cleaning, or accept the fact that your pet will be back pretty soon to need another one.

Humans are supposed to get their teeth cleaned every year, I don't know why you find it so outrageous that your dog may need the same.

You can just imagine what our teeth would look like if we didn't brush them in between cleanings. It's the same thing for dogs - terrible plaque and calculus.

@lara

I agree. Finally someone with some common sense on this site.

My hospital (not a Banfield) does dental clenings on pets all the time. I probably do >15 a week and when I send the pets home always recommend that the owners start doing daily brushing. Sadly I am constantly amazed by the number of people who get upset that 8-12 months after the cleaning are complaining because the teeth have nasty build-up again. Yet when you ask if they have been cleaning their pets teeth they look at you like you are speaking a foreign language & moan they they dont have time or 'it's too difficult'!

How do they think their teeth or their kids teeth would look if they didn't get brushed for a year?? One dental cleaning every few years is not good oral care, Oh, and feeding your pet Greenies doesn't count as brushing.

I've lost count of the number of idiots who just look blankly at you when you try to expalin this. The blame for the pets teeth getting bad again almost always lies with the owner not brushing.