New Haven, Missouri

As a former Banfield doctor, i often struggled with possible issues of conflict of interest. I worked there part time to supplement my income, as they accomodated flexible shift scheduling.

I enjoyed working with the support staff, the clients , and their pets.

The company, now owned by the Mars candy company, identified 2 major problems: 1) client retention; Banfield loses 50% of their clients, and employee engagement; employees feel a disconnect from the company for various reasons, and eventually seek other employment.

As a Banfield doctor, I strive to do what I feel is best for the pet and the client caregiver. I have been bullied and threatened by the Medical Director to add every test possible, under the guise of "evidence based, and quality medicine", even though my outcomes have been positive and clients happy with what I chose to do. I think that padding the bill to make more money for the company, to increase my production bonuses, and optomize my APC , is unethical and a conflict of interest.

I think that the charges for medical and surgical procedures and medications are extremely high, and there are more reasonable options elsewhere.

How can a client trust a doctor to recommend a certain treatment plan, when part of the motivation is to avoid disciplinary action from a supervisor and to supplement modest base pay? It is disgusting, and I urge clients to think very carefully before agreeing to anything.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Freedomnotfree - I understand your frustration, and I am truly sorry that your experience at our hospital was unsatisfactory. After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to get more information.

Though you are no longer a current associate, we encourage you to also address your concerns directly through Banfield’s People & Organization team (P&O).

While we appreciate your feedback, we are limited in what we can do to address these concerns when submitted online. Banfield has an exceptional support system for our hospital associates, and in order to address concerns, we need feedback in a format that can be escalated appropriately.

Again, we encourage you to contact the Associate Relations line at 503-922-5153. Most sincerely, The Banfield Team

freedomnotfree
@Banfield Pet Hospital

I appreciate your reply. I believe that the company protects Medical Directors and tolerates bullying and harrassing behavior as long as it keeps the numbers up.

FRANK training did not help this individual, as communication is is negative and full of veiled threats. This person instructed me to use my FRANK training to get clients to reverse their decisions when they decline services. The commission based pay system is firmly ingrained in Banfield's business structure. It is known to dissolve teamwork, because getting the whole case means more money, and put one in ethical quandries because the doctor's quality of life is directly related to the APC.

My location is in the midwest.