Saint Louis, Missouri

My mothers 7lb dog is producing an alarming amount of blood from her rectum. At the rate she's bleeding, she will be dead in a day.

When my mother contacted her vet, the Banfield team of Sunset Hills, she was told that they were unable to fit her in. It was recommended that she contact another vet. Because of the optimum wellness plan, my mother called another location, and was turned away once more. This time it was the Oakville location.

She didn't bother trying again. She called a vet from the book and was told to come right in, that it sounded serious and the dog could die without immediate attention. So, a stranger cares more for the pet that has been seeing a Banfield vet for 7+ years. A year ago I was refused service for my cat at these same two locations.

I discovered she had a urinary tract infection and called them. They were unable to see her for a couple of days. I said that this was an emergency and was told that "We're not really an emergency clinic." So I inquired about the sign in their lobby stating that "Sick and injured pets would be seen first for the safety of all". Same response, we're not an emergency clinic.

I then inquired about the two times I'd received a call to cancel my pets appt because an emergency had come in that could take all day. They didn't have a decent answer and recommended I go to an emergency clinic. I said, "My baby is sick, I pay you on a monthly basis so that when this happens you will take care of her. Now you are refusing me service?" Note: one free urinary analysis comes with my plan annually.

I basically refused to leave with my pet until she was treated and they finally agreed to check her in. At closing time I receive this call - We were unable to fit your pet in today. You may pick her up at closing (8pm) or pay to board your pet overnight. She can be seen in the morning.

I had ten minutes to pick my pet up.

I finally took her to an emergency clinic where I waited 3+ hours to be seen. Why do any of us pay for them to treat our pets, just to be denied service when it really counts?

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

Banfield Pet Hospital

We apologize that one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way. Thank you for providing this feedback and for bringing this to our attention.

We are currently unaware of this situation and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly to gather more information. Please give us a call at 877-500-2288.

YOU ARE A SICK *** AND YOU TAKE MONEY FROM PEOPLE AND SURE DO NOT RETURN IT LIKE YOU SHOULD....I WAITED 2 HOURS IN A ROOM AND I HAD AN APPOINTMENT....WELL????? I HAVE BEEN WAITING 3 WEEKS TO GET MY MONEY BACK...WHILE MY CAT IS GETTING WORSE....MAY YOU ALL GO TO *** WHERE YOU BELONG....I HOPE YOU GET PAID BACK IN BAD HELATH AND SUFFER LIKE YOU HAVE MADE SO MANY OTHERS DO SO...

Hate to tell you, but it's the responsible thing to refer you to emergency if they are booked up. I've seen clinics take in emergencies when they should have referred out because they wanted the money.

When this happens, everyone suffers: the emergency pet, pets already in the care of the hospital, and pets that were scheduled for later appointments. This is because they don't have available staff and resources to give your pet the attention it needs in an emergency. Think about it: if your pet required careful monitoring, would you want to leave it somewhere that is so busy they don't have any openings for 2 days? It's really common sense.

Emergency situation = emergency hospital.

I'm curious - what dog vaccines did they give to your cat?

Thank you so much for posting on behalf of Banfield. That is exactly the snarky attitude that has so many people hating/disliking them.

I have since contacted numerous clinics who have all stated that they wouldn't have turned away a dog bleeding in such a manner. They would have requested that the animal be brought to them immediately. What I gather from your comment is this "As to your question: why do you pay if you are denied service when it really counts?? Well you pay for a WELLNESS PLAN.

It's not an EMERGENCY INSURANCE PLAN." You're right, absolutely right. I will NO LONGER pay for a wellness plan when I can have pet insurance instead. I'm tired of my cat being given vaccines meant for dogs.

I'm just tired of Banfield, period. Goodbye.

Banfield is not an emergency clinic. If they say they can't fit you in, it's not because they're being rude or unaccommodating, it's because they have the best interest of YOUR pet and the pets of OTHERS at heart. Have you ever been to a people emergency room? It's a lot different from your primary care provider's office, isn't it? Would you expect your primary care provider to cancel all of his/her appointments because you have an emergency? No, your doctor would tell you to go to the ER. This is for 2 reasons. 1.) It's unfair to cancel other people's appointments to squeeze your emergency in, and 2.) they are not equipped properly to handle emergencies.

It's the same thing at the vet's office. If you call and they don't have any openings, why should everybody else be inconvenienced? Also, they are not set up for emergencies. Emergency hospitals are properly equipped with the right equipment and professionals specially trained in emergency treatment. So it's actually best for your pet to go to an emergency clinic if it is truly experiencing an emergency.

The reason why sometimes Banfield does get backed up due to emergencies is because people often burst through the door with an emergency and we have to see the pet once it is there, because to deny them treatment and waste time to have them drive to another clinic could cost the pet its life. We usually stabilize the pet, then send it to an emergency hospital for continued treatment. Another reason is because sometimes a pet who ALREADY has an appointment requires immediate attention, and more time than was previously anticipated.

I'm really tired of people complaining that they can't get an appointment right away. Guess what? I have to wait WEEKS to see my doctor. It's the same thing with animals. If it's an emergency - go to an emergency hospital. It's not rocket science, people. As to your question: why do you pay if you are denied service when it really counts?? Well you pay for a WELLNESS PLAN. It's not an EMERGENCY INSURANCE PLAN.

It's medicine people. Same as for people.