San Diego, California

I was scheduled to take my dog in for the third time within 3 months this year because they said they wanted to be up to date. When my husband took him in they renewed my yearly contract without even asking. Me and my husband have been planning to cancel Banfield as soon as the contract was done. When I called to cancel they told me my vet renewed for another year.

The reason I wanted to cancel was because the staff and the vet are so not interested on pets and so careless. My pet came back diagnosed with hip dysplasia. I know that he didnt get it AT the hospital but I could tell how he was being treated by the way he came back home in pain. He couldnt walk for weeks after every visit there.

I also told them in every visit to check for any type of allergy because he kept scratching but they never did. I still dont know why he scratches. I tried changing his diet, v3-omega pills, oatmeal and aloe vera shampoo, hot spot reliever, nothing works. Once, I told them to clip his nails which I paid for but they didnt and when I called they said they did.

There is no one at the front desk. Short on staff. They don't take emergencies. They are closed 2 days out of the week and I believe is self-owned vet. One doctor to my knowledge.

I hate them so much. I called the Banfield corporate many many times but they're all the same pieces of &*%$ type of people. I am bringing a lawsuit against them.

By the way, the Banfield Hospital Im talking about is the one in La Jolla, San Diego CA. The lady that keeps saying we authorized the renewal is Marta. It will come back to you for lying.

Comments

Dr. David Schlereth is horrible.

He is only in it for the money. He does not care about the animals. He is rude and man-handled my poor cat. He gets pissed off if you refuse his very expensive extra services.

I dont know why anyone goes there.

Horrible, horrible man. Stay away.

Banfield Pet Hospital

After reading all of your feedback, we want to extend the opportunity to you, our customers, to share your experiences with us. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit.

We apologize that any of your visits to our hospitals were unsatisfactory. To address your specific concerns, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call us at 1-877-500-2288 to tell us what happened.

Thank you for all of your feedback. We do appreciate the obvious passion you have for your pets.

I called and made an apointment to take my new dog in, for a check up. When I got there, the receptionist was polite and I was happy thus far...the vet tech was also fine. But when the Dr came in, (long story) but, she was so rude and condescending to me and I about cried. I could not believe how she treated us and it was our first visit! I was shaking I was so upset when we left. I am not ussually one to complain, I have never complained about a vet before, but this was the worst service I have ever received.

I will NEVER go back and I will let everyone know to stay away from there! And my friends who go there, I will be sure to tell them to change to a diff vet!

The name of the Dr that we saw was : Simona Rikh, DVM

THEY KILLED MY DOG... THE WEST CHESTER, OH GAVE A NON NEEDED VACINE TO MY CHIHUAHUA AND IT ACTUALLY GAVE HER THE LEPTO IN WHICH SHE WAS SUPPOSEDLY VACINATED FOR...

I ADMITTED HER TO THE MASON LOCATION IN OHIO FOR WHICH I AM CLOSE TO THE VET DR. WOODALL SHE IS GREAT BUT SHE COULD NOT UNDUE WHAT WAS ALREADY DONE BY DR. HASSLE IN THE WEST CHESTER STORE. I INCURED A BILL OF AROUND 700.00 I WAS TOLD TO APPLY FOR THEIR NEW CARE CREDIT CARD SO MY BOYFRIEND DID THIS FOR ME AS HE HAS NEAR PERFECT CREDIT AND WAS ONLY APPROVED FOR $500.00 WHICH ONLY JUST ABOUT COVERED THE REG VISIT AND AN EMERGENCY VISIT AND THE BLOOD TESTS AND SOME IV SOLUTION ECT...

Anyway the money was not the issue so much as this was my baby they killed my baby!!! I have called corporate many times and was told someone would get back to me in 3 to 5 days!!! WTH REALLY??? You killed my dog and you don't care basically.

I WILL BE PURSUING A LAWSUIT.

By the way here is some more information... my daughter used to work there. And told me of the things that go on their...

Dr. Hassel at one time had handled a dog with PARVO and did not wash her hands at all on the way into another exam... my daughter asked her if she was going to scrub down and no reply and off she went into the room... on another occasion Dr.

Pachule the director Vet responsible for the Banfields was there on an occasion when my daughter was working also.., he is a wonderful caring vet as well... he allowed Dr. Hassel to perform a spay/nueter on a very large dog whith that size of a dog you cannot give them general anestisia... well he told her is she did not feel comfortable doing that he had no problem doing it.

She went ahead and the next thing you know she is extremely upset and calling for him... she nicked the bowel... not sure if you know but that is a MAJOR ISSUE she was yelled at and He took over and told her she better hope the dog makes it thru. WELL GUESS WHAT EVERYONE SHE WAS JUST MADE PARTNER RIGHT BEFORE I TOOK MY DOG IN FOR THESE VACINES, The room was filthy I let the table down myself and cleaned it.

I told this to the nurse as well as Dr. Hassel. No worries or reponses... I AM NEEDLESS TO SAY DEVASTATED AS I AM SURE ANY OF YOU ON HERE WOULD BE.

LAWSUIT ANYONE ARE YOU WITH ME??? Even thought there is NO AMOUNT IN THIS WORLD THEY COULD GIVE ME FOR WHAT THEY DID I WILL MAKE SURE IT IS NOTICED AND PUBLICLY TOLD..

I MISS YOU BELLA BOOP MOMMY IS SO SORRY... :cry :cry :cry

#51972

Can someone give me info about the class action lawsuit against Banfield. I would like to join--I am so pissed off at them and we need to make sure they are held responsible .

I would love to take legal action but I feel that it will be a waste of my time if I do it all alone. Could you share the website or guide me to join the other pet owners who already sued Banfield? Thanks in advance

Here's a copy of my letter to Banfield Headquarters (still no reply from them):

I am a disgusted customer of San Juan Capistrano, Calif. Banfield. Having signed up our puppy in October 2007, he received all services and vaccines needed. In June 2007, the puppy had ingested rat poison that was dragged into our yard. His blood was tested, it showed that the clotting factor was very low, and he was treated with the antidote. We gave him two weeks of Vitamin K1, and brought him in for another blood test. It also came back abnormal. Each blood test cost us $120, not covered by the Wellness Plan. The Vitamin K1 cost $160/month. The average time for a dog to need to take the antidote before his blood count returns to normal is ONE MONTH. Yet, our Banfield vet kept testing our dog every 2 to 4 weeks for $120 each blood test, and prescribing more Vitamin K1 (“It’s ONLY vitamins” he told us). By September, we were told to bring him in for a yearly comprehensive exam, covered under the Wellness Plan, and his blood test would be included in the examination charges.

I decided to continue giving my dog the Vitamin K1 up until the comprehensive exam, to see if the blood count would still “show up abnormal”.

I brought the dog in for his exam, leaving him there at 7am. At 2pm that day, I was called and asked if I had administered the Vitamin K1 pills. When I told them that it had been three days since I had given him the antidote (which is how long they had told me to wait before bringing him in for previous blood tests), they very got agitated, and told me that the comprehensive exam would not be given, and to please come in and pick up the dog. Somehow I do not think that they believed me.

When I picked him up later that day, I was charged for $120 for a blood test. There was no comprehensive exam given.

The veterinarian called about two days later to say that the blood test came back normal, the dog was fine.

I was called by the nurse a week later and told to schedule my dog for his annual comprehensive exam!! (This message is still recorded on my phone answering machine for records).

I called the Banfield hospital to get a copy of my dog’s medical records. I was told that they will not give copies of these to the owner of the dog. “It is not their policy.” I wish to have all records to see the lab results for each blood test that was taken. It seems very suspicious that the doctor will not share this information with us.

When the comprehensive exam was supposed to have been given, our contract was due to renew. When I saw the monthly charge for Banfield on my next credit card bill, I called the headquarters and was told that it was too late to cancel the contract, it automatically renewed.

I FEEL THAT YOUR DISHONEST MANAGEMENT AT THIS PARTICULAR BANFIELD HOSPITAL HAS ALREADY STOLEN ENOUGH MONEY FROM US.

After talking to your customer service representative today, she suggested that I send in an email to this address, stating how much I am going to be billed for the rest of the year ($233.55). I am requesting that this charge be cleared.

I see that there are many other disgruntled pet owners who post their stories on the Internet, as well as at least 3 Class Action Lawsuits against your company. I do not wish to join these people, yet if I do not get any satisfaction with contacting you, I will pursue all avenues open, not the least of which will be personally relating my experiences with all local pet owners!

I couldn't agree more. Dr David Schlereth of the La Jolla, UTC location must have flunked out of regular medical school and holds a grudge.

The guy does not possess the love for animals that a vet should.

In no way did I pick up a "pet lover" signal from him and that is just scary.

They're more interested in selling expensive meds than in providing quality, compassionate care.

@Anonymous

My regular vet is on vacation and unfortunately we saw Dr Schlereth and he's a total ***. He made me feel like I am the worst pet owner ever.

I came out of there feeling like a dumb female who took a car in for an oil change and got the dreaded call that the engine needed to be overhauled = $$$$$$ I have made notes of all the "recommendations" he made and will discuss with my wonderful vet Dr. Perry Diamond upon his return. RUN, don't walk, if you ever encounter Dr.

David Schlereth.