1.6

I brought my 7 year old yorkie into Banfield pet hospital in Brick,NJ for dental cleaning. She went to the vet regularly and she was playful and healthy.

they called 4 hours later and said she had DIED and there were always possible complications from anesthesia. I was understandably inconsolable! Days later I started my research and conversations with other reputable vets. They said she was under anesthesia too long for her size (5 lbs).

They said the procedure should have been divided into two visits!

I rec'd no sympathy letter or apology. I feel a vet who does dental cleanings should have been aware of how to treat small dogs under anesthesia!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Dental Cleaning.

Reason of review: no response on corrective actions taken.

Preferred solution: corrective actions taken with Dr. Knox.

Banfield Pet Hospital Pros: Affordable.

• veterinary malpractice

Comments

I'm sorry for your loss.

However, the "other reputable vets" you spoke with, were not there, therfore they cannot say anything about your specific pet, about what happened or if it was/wasn't the vets fault.

You said your pet was just there for a dental cleaning. I don't understand why the other vets said that it should have been divided into two visits, even if your pet needed extractions.

It's a dental cleaning.

What do they expect or what do they do? Clean half the mouth then have the owner come back so they can put the dog under anesthesia for a second time & clean the other half? Or do they clean the teeth, then if tje pet needs extractions, have the pet owner come back so again, the pet is put under anesthesia a second time just for the extractions?

If they do that, that is absolutely ridiculous. That is called greedy, seeing as the owner would have to pay double.

Also, putting the pet under anesthesia twice within a short amount of time is just plain dangerous.

I USED to work at Banfield. My own dog developed a heart block & stopped breathing as we were extubating him. It was NOT anything my vet did. He was perfectly fine the entire procedure.

Luckily we were able to get him breathing again and he's fine now. This was back in 2012. Anesthesia for the most part is generally safe, especially the anesthetic that Banfield uses. However, they are correct when they said that there is always risks with anesthesia.

That is common sense. Sometimes a pet passes away after a routine surgery, at no fault to the vet or any of the staff. Just like with people. You obviously haven't worked in veterinary medicine, so you don't know how it all works.

I have for 7yrs now, 6 of those years were at Banfield. We lost ONE patient under anesthesia (open 7 days a week and performed 3-5 surgeries a day) in those 6yrs, however the owner knew that it could possibly happen due to the dogs problems. But the vet and owner decided together that the benefits of surgery outweighed the risk. The owner was obviously upset, but she did not blame the vet, as she knew that it was a possibility.

My vet was extremely upset and the owner ended up consoling her. Was a necropsy done ? (Autopsy for pets). As I said, I am truly, sincerely sorry for your loss.

I understand you being a wreck. But please do not automatically blame the vet & assume they did something wrong.

When my dog was taken here and X-rays were taken, they said he had something in his stomach he had eaten. Couldn't tell what without opening him up.

They wanted to take him then and there. I said NO, and walked out. He was fine from that point on.

I believe Banfield is a training facility and they don't fully know what they are doing. This one was in Bradenton, FL

@CC

just throwing this out there. I'm a small animal vet, about 4 months ago, took a lab to surgery.

Took out a rubber duck. His owners noted he ate it....3 months before. Dogs are strange creatures, and their bodies can do strange things.

Also (as much as I wish they did) rads don't have a big sign that points 'here's the foreign body, cut here!'. Its unfortunately called 'interpretation' for a reason, not always clear cut

@CC

Sometimes small, inert foreign bodies and material can pass through the GI tract and be pooped out without causing a problem. However pets can also have foreign material/foreign bodies stay in their stomach for months before it causes problems.

The stomach is a relatively large part of the GI tract, so unless it is a caustic (battery, coins etc), sharp (metal, jagged bone or horn pieces etc) or very large foreign body it can quietly sit in there and still allow food to get around it. If it moves and punctures the stomach or blocks the entrance/exit to the stomach, or moves into the intestines it can become stuck, cause infection, and become a fatal problem.

Also, x-rays of the stomach are quite difficult to read because the foreign body is often chewed up & surrounded by food, making it's shape difficult to determine.

Watch your dog closely for signs of GI distress like vomiting, diarrhea, bloody vomit, bloody *** or loss of appetite and if you notice any of these DO NOT WAIT - get your vet to re-check x-rays ASAP as the foreign body could be starting to cause a problem.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a Vets knowledge just because you don't understand what is going on, they spent 8+ years in school training and have your pets best interests at heart.

How long was she under for and what was she having done?

Did she have any other concurrent diseases which made her a higher risk for anesthetic complications?

As a DVM with almost 10 years experience in small animal medicine and surgery, having done hundreds, if not thousands of surgeries including dental cleanings on pets I can tell you that only rarely have I needed to split surgeries into multiple procedures, and not ever due to a patients small size other than in pediatric patients.

Anesthesia is weight dependent so her weight alone shouldn't have caused a problem if the correct doses and monitoring were used. However, it is important to realize that sometimes pets do poorly, and yes, sometimes die as a result of anesthesia.

This even happens in humans and although the risks are small they cannot be 100% avoided.

I am sorry for your loss, by all means ask for her medical records and have another DVM review them if you are concerned about medical malpractice, but don't get wrapped up into a 'blame game' unless you have actual PROOF of wrongdoing, otherwise all it will do is make it harder for you to move on, and could get you blacklisted from all your local vets if you start falsely accusing them of things.

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews