I went to Banfield Vetinary Services at Petsmart in Brandon, FL./Hwy 60 to purchase flea treatment for my cats.

I asked for advantix but they claimed they were out of it. They then talked me into purchasing a product called First Shield, which I had never even heard of. They assured me that this was the best product to buy. Wrong, it didn't kill the fleas and almost killed one of kittens.

The staff were unfriendly and unprofessional to say the least. I will never,ever go to this Petsmart/Banfield again.

Buyers Beware First Shield is garbage.I'm out $109.00 dollars and Bansfield told me there was nothing they could do.

Had an Experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?

Comments

Call the corporate office as the product is guaranteed.

Any topical flea control can cause problems. The issue should be taken up with the makers of Vectra 3 D or First Shield (same products). The products sold by veterinarians have fewer side effects than over the counter products.

The product is guaranteed to work or your money back. If the store will not credit you call the corporate office.

I have a 6lbs Yorkie and used this product and it worked perfectly!

I really think a lawsuit is necessary.After moving to another city, my great grandma asked that she could keep my pomeranian to keep from being lonely, and so that the barking would let her know if someone was at the door, etc.

She went to Banfield in Houston last night and they told her to use Front Shield as well. Within a few hours, Paris (dog's name) was jerking uncontrollably. They called, and were told to give her a bath, which was done at midnight. Fast forward to this morning and she couldnt move her back legs!

She seems to be okay now from what i've been told, but this is crazy. She's used frontline before and never had any issues.. Bansfield told her that they've never heard of animals having those kinds of reactions to Front Shield, but I don't believe them for one second. After making several calls, they finally got her to the makers of Front Shield, whom also said that this was "unheard of" and to give her yet ANOTHER bath to try and get the Front Shield off.

Like I said, supposedly she's okay now, but if anything happens to her, or if I have to pay a boat load of money to an emergency vet, I will ruin both Bansfield and Front Shield's name; be it newspapers, news stations, internet.

This "medicine" is obviously having the same effects on other animals, and it shouldn't even be sold.It's ridiculous.

I don't know if you mistyped, but if you asked for Advantix, and they gave you the First Shield that is labeled for dogs only, it's amazing your kittens survived at all.

Advantage is for cats (and dogs)...Advantix is for dogs only and can kill your cat.

I believe Banfield is in the process of phasing out the name brand products for their identical, private label products.

If you have a heavy flea problem where you live, either in your house or yard, NO flea product is going to be 100% effective nor last more than 2 *MAYBE* 3 weeks. You need to also de-flea your environment in conjunction to using the flea meds to break the life cycle. This means treating your yard, and vacuuming you house DAILY, throwing the bag away after each use, or else you will re-seed your carpet with eggs. BOMB your house first, then vacuum daily for 1 week, then Bomb again. Vacuum one more time after the final bomb. At the same time make sure you have treated your pet with flea prevention and try not to bathe your pet once you have the flea prevention on...even if it says water proof. Once you do that, you will find your flea meds are able to work much better and the efficacy will last closer to the 30 days it's supposed to. Then keep your pet on monthly flea prevention and you should remain flea free. Remember, even if your pet is inside only, you can and do bring fleas in on your clothes from your yard...those little suckers are hitch hiker professionals!!!

Gangnam, Seoul, Republic Of Korea #277121

DO NOT TRUST ANY VET THEY ARE OUT TO GET YOUR MONEY. RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AND FIND THE CORRECT ANSWERS.

QUITE THE CONTRARY!I USED FRONTLINE AND IT SUCKED.

SO BANFIELD GAVE ME FIRST SHIELD AND OUR SIAMESE, WHO IS ALLERGIC TO EVERYTHING, IS 100% FLEA FREE WITH NO IRRITATION. WE WERE REALLY INFESTED, TOO.

THIS IS GOOD STUFF.

THE REAL TEST WILL BE ON OUR OUTDOOR CAT.TO THE PERSON WHO USED DOG TREATMENTS ON A CAT, ALL COMPANIES THAT MAKE THIS PRODUCT TELL YOU NOT TO USE DOG DROPS ON A CAT.GREAT STUFF!!!!

#196399

I purchased first shield for my dogs in asheville, NC banfield after they no longer carried the others.It has been the worst experience for me and almost killed 1 of the 3 dogs as permethrin is toxic.

When i first applied they were crying and rolling around on the ground like mad.. like it was burning them.. which now when i look back and it was. They never have had any reaction to others flea/tick like this one.

Not to mention the worst part of it is that they all caught Cheyletiellosis while being on this horrible stuff.

They have been suffering for months because of lying people just trying to make a buck.WARNING DO NOT USE!!

I am talking to an attorney soon about a classic action law suit agains Banfield, for claiming first shield has the same ingredient as Frontline, and First Shield it self for the continued sell of this product, without warning of the severe and harmful damage. I have spent 111.00 on two occasion for one use of this product on my cat. Look for a Class Action Law Suit SOON on this product!!