I went to Banfield Vetinary Services at Petsmart in Brandon, FL. /Hwy 60 to purchase flea treatment for my cats.

I asked for advantix but they claimed they were out of it. They then talked me into purchasing a product called First Shield, which I had never even heard of. They assured me that this was the best product to buy. Wrong, it didn't kill the fleas and almost killed one of kittens.

The staff were unfriendly and unprofessional to say the least. I will never,ever go to this Petsmart/Banfield again.

Buyers Beware First Shield is garbage. I'm out $109.00 dollars and Bansfield told me there was nothing they could do.

Comments

Call the corporate office as the product is guaranteed.

Any topical flea control can cause problems. The issue should be taken up with the makers of Vectra 3 D or First Shield (same products). The products sold by veterinarians have fewer side effects than over the counter products.

The product is guaranteed to work or your money back. If the store will not credit you call the corporate office.

I have a 6lbs Yorkie and used this product and it worked perfectly!

I really think a lawsuit is necessary. After moving to another city, my great grandma asked that she could keep my pomeranian to keep from being lonely, and so that the barking would let her know if someone was at the door, etc.

She went to Banfield in Houston last night and they told her to use Front Shield as well. Within a few hours, Paris (dog's name) was jerking uncontrollably. They called, and were told to give her a bath, which was done at midnight. Fast forward to this morning and she couldnt move her back legs!

She seems to be okay now from what i've been told, but this is crazy. She's used frontline before and never had any issues.. Bansfield told her that they've never heard of animals having those kinds of reactions to Front Shield, but I don't believe them for one second. After making several calls, they finally got her to the makers of Front Shield, whom also said that this was "unheard of" and to give her yet ANOTHER bath to try and get the Front Shield off.

Like I said, supposedly she's okay now, but if anything happens to her, or if I have to pay a boat load of money to an emergency vet, I will ruin both Bansfield and Front Shield's name; be it newspapers, news stations, internet.

This "medicine" is obviously having the same effects on other animals, and it shouldn't even be sold. It's ridiculous.

I don't know if you mistyped, but if you asked for Advantix, and they gave you the First Shield that is labeled for dogs only, it's amazing your kittens survived at all.

Advantage is for cats (and dogs)...Advantix is for dogs only and can kill your cat.

I believe Banfield is in the process of phasing out the name brand products for their identical, private label products.

If you have a heavy flea problem where you live, either in your house or yard, NO flea product is going to be 100% effective nor last more than 2 *MAYBE* 3 weeks. You need to also de-flea your environment in conjunction to using the flea meds to break the life cycle. This means treating your yard, and vacuuming you house DAILY, throwing the bag away after each use, or else you will re-seed your carpet with eggs. BOMB your house first, then vacuum daily for 1 week, then Bomb again. Vacuum one more time after the final bomb. At the same time make sure you have treated your pet with flea prevention and try not to bathe your pet once you have the flea prevention on...even if it says water proof. Once you do that, you will find your flea meds are able to work much better and the efficacy will last closer to the 30 days it's supposed to. Then keep your pet on monthly flea prevention and you should remain flea free. Remember, even if your pet is inside only, you can and do bring fleas in on your clothes from your yard...those little suckers are hitch hiker professionals!!!

Gangnam, Seoul, Republic Of Korea #277121

DO NOT TRUST ANY VET THEY ARE OUT TO GET YOUR MONEY. RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AND FIND THE CORRECT ANSWERS.

QUITE THE CONTRARY! I USED FRONTLINE AND IT SUCKED.

SO BANFIELD GAVE ME FIRST SHIELD AND OUR SIAMESE, WHO IS ALLERGIC TO EVERYTHING, IS 100% FLEA FREE WITH NO IRRITATION. WE WERE REALLY INFESTED, TOO.

THIS IS GOOD STUFF.

THE REAL TEST WILL BE ON OUR OUTDOOR CAT. TO THE PERSON WHO USED DOG TREATMENTS ON A CAT, ALL COMPANIES THAT MAKE THIS PRODUCT TELL YOU NOT TO USE DOG DROPS ON A CAT.GREAT STUFF!!!!

#196399

I purchased first shield for my dogs in asheville, NC banfield after they no longer carried the others. It has been the worst experience for me and almost killed 1 of the 3 dogs as permethrin is toxic.

When i first applied they were crying and rolling around on the ground like mad.. like it was burning them.. which now when i look back and it was. They never have had any reaction to others flea/tick like this one.

Not to mention the worst part of it is that they all caught Cheyletiellosis while being on this horrible stuff.

They have been suffering for months because of lying people just trying to make a buck. WARNING DO NOT USE!!

I am talking to an attorney soon about a classic action law suit agains Banfield, for claiming first shield has the same ingredient as Frontline, and First Shield it self for the continued sell of this product, without warning of the severe and harmful damage. I have spent 111.00 on two occasion for one use of this product on my cat. Look for a Class Action Law Suit SOON on this product!!

i also got suckered into buying this ***! I put it on my 5 yr old cat last night, when I woke up i found 4 big piles of puke and 1 spot of bile in my living room, my cat will not come out from under the bed and I am so worried...

WTF.. really... These people are crooks!!! so pissed off, I just wanted Frontline as it works great and my cat was never sick with it!!!

whatever is in first shield is Extremely Bad!!! DO NOT BUY!!!

I resent them and will NEVER shop at pet smart again!!!! I love my cat and will flip if something worst happens to her due to this First Shield ***!

First Shield is terrible. I used it as they no longer carried my brand of cat flea medicine.

My cat lost her hair on her face and ears, and developed sores on her face and neck. I am so upset.

I wanted to warn others of my experience with it. Hopefully, it was a bad batch, but I won't use it again.

We went through a similar situation with First Shield. Our cat is 16 and this is the 1st time she has had fleas.

We bought First Shield at Banfield in TN. It didn't work the first week; however, we had given our cat a bathe. We went back today and the Vet was very understanding and considerate. We gave her a 2nd treatment and the fleas are gone.

We have only been to their office 2 times and have only good things to say about Banfield. Keep this in mind...as with all medications...everyone reacts differently. That's why there are so many different products available. I like Advil, my husband prefers Excedrin.

It's the same thing with Frontline, Advantage, and First Shield. I realize it can be an expensive venture, but in the end, it's worth it.

After reading and posting a complaint of my own, I called Banfield and asked about flea meds and of course they offered First Shield. I asked about frontline and it is sold over the counter now she said it is no longer a prescription.

So it's like buying Tylenol. So hopefully it still has the same affects as when you had to get it through the vet

I went to the Banfield in Conyers GA and the same situation happened ... told me they don't carry it anymore and this new stuff was much better anyway.

So I used 5 applications on 5 different dogs, and 1 left over advantix I had on my 6th dog. They had no fleas to begin with since I had been using advantix before. Well the 5 dogs with First Shield were itching and had fleas in a matter of days, and one of them even had a tick! The one with advantix still had NO fleas at all!

So I called up there and they would not refund my money and the girl had the nerve to tell me "it was like buying a carton of milk, you can't take it back once you've drank it all". Um ... what?!?! I can see her point if I had used them all on the same dog over a 5 month span, but I put it on 5 dogs at one time.

UGH I'm so mad at them right now.

I want ADVANTIX back! It's on the counter now tho :)

:( funny you say that. I went to the petsmart in eugene, or.

And banfield did the same exact thing when i asked for frontline. I had been using frontline on all my animals for years and in the kennel i worked at but never had any problems till now.

First shield doesnt work its been 3 months worth of this flea medicine and they are still suffering. Its not just your store its all of the banfield vet clinic.

I went to Banfield in Houston to get frontline and was told they were replacing it with First Shield - this was better and safer. I told them I had a small dog that was sensitive to meds but was assured by the front staff it was fine.

I have now spent upwards of $400 at my vet and my dog has neurologic damage/poisoning from this. Even more upsetting is that I have a toddler and I asked was it safe for her to be around the dog and how soon she could touch the dog and was told not be worry about that at all. My vet do the research and found that it is highly toxic to children and told me to wash all his bedding and the dog immediately. The front staff at Banfields is clueless and should not be allowed to dispense meds without the proper training.

And by the way to all the above folks who gave it to their cats - it is clear in the package insert - CATS are NOT to use this product at all. It should not have been sold for a cat!!!!

:( I too was told by Banfield in North Carolina that they did not carry Advantix anymore and First Shield was the same product. Now one of my dogs has bald spots, scratches ALL the time, and looks like she has tremors! My cats are a mess too.....DO NOT buy this product!!