Banfield Pet Hospital - They Let My Dog Die

1222 of 1393 Banfield Pet Hospital reviews

I took my 18 week old Siberian Husky to Banfield to be chipped, and he came out with PARVO.He died 9 days later.

They admitted he could have contacted it in their hospital, but accepted no responsibly. They also refused to treat him without payment, which I had to put out to a Pet Emergency Hospital 2 days before. No money, treatment for your dog. Not even any compassion, they let my dog die, and they could have been the cause.

I even offered to pay if I could have paid in a few payments, but OH *** NO!

I am on a fixed income, so I had to watch my dog pass away.Sure they are the place that quotes: "We treat you like family"

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
1222 of 1393 Banfield Pet Hospital reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

May 04, 2015 #979711

Same thing happened to my dog went in for phiromitosis surgery and came out with parvo he died four days later

1 4 Reply
Realist

Sep 23, 2014 #874091

I agree that while this is very sad, Banfield is a business and has enormous overhead costs to operate. Concider that many of the Banfield employees (yes even the vets) are also on a "fixed income". Would you do your job for no pay whenever anyone came to your company with a sad situation and didn't have the money to pay for your services? Probably not. There are avenues you could have pursued, such as Care Credit, which is a low or no interest (depending on the amount and how quickly you intend to pay it off) credit card specifically for medical care, both for expenses your medical insurance will not cover for yourself and veterinary care for your pet. Banfield also has charitable funds for special cases when owners can't pay, though I don't know that your dog would have qualified, as parvo is a pretty grim prognosis, regardless of the numerous places he could have picked it up.

10 4 Reply
really

Mar 20, 2013 #625911

Your dog at 18 weeks should have been fully vaccinated for parvo. Even though vaccination is not 100% perfect it's pretty darn close. Also, parvo is literally EVERYWHERE... so the clinic is not to be blamed for your pet getting it. Pets are a luxury we love but they do cost money. Vet clinics are a business with rent to pay, expensive equipment to purchase and maintain, and trained technical staff to pay not to mention the doctors with their insane student loans. They can not keep their doors open by giving out services and treatment. Most clinics don't do payments because people are really terrible about making those payments which ruins it for everyone. But that is what credit cards are for or borrowing from friends and family. Can't get a credit card or a loan from family? But you expect a business who doesn't know you to lend you money without a credit check? Does that even make sense? Your dog died because of your poor planning and exposure to a really terrible, but preventable, disease. Please do not get another dog until you can afford one and have a little more knowledge. Also, get pet insurance.

15 0 Reply

Sep 07, 2015 #1030947

Works for Banfield

0 5 Reply
DISCUSSED

Jul 22, 2009 #62391

ALL YOU GUYS NEED TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES. BANFIELD DOES NOT CARE FOR YOUR PET. WHETHER THE DOG GOT THE PARVO THERE OR NOT THEY STILL DIDN'T CARE. THE ONLY THING THEY CARE ABOUT IS THEIR MONEY AND AS LONG AS THEY DON'T HAVE TO PUT IT OUT THEY DON'T CARE. DOGS ARE NOT TREATED LIKE FAMILY. I KNOW THEY STRANGLED MY DOG. SO ENJOY AND GET REAL. THEY ARE NOT AT ALL ANY GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO.

3 10 Reply
meowysmiling

Apr 08, 2009 #55590

I am a big supporter of pet insurance : )
Best wishes to all involved~
meowysmiling

2 2 Reply
Rachel-PPC

Apr 01, 2009 #55096

Was the dog vaccinated for parvo prior to going into the hospital? Parvo...even when caught early and with the BEST treatment available...is over 50% fatal. That's why you vaccinate for it.....3 times with the DHLPPC vaccine. Even then, he can't be protected 100%. It's no one's fault. Parvo is easily contracted by puppies...it honestly could have happened ANYWHERE.

8 0 Reply
another vet tech

Mar 31, 2009 #54928

Ridiculous. Parvovirus is ubiquitous. That's why you vaccinate for it. It's nobody's fault - no vaccine provides 100% immunity in 100% of patients 100% of the time. Sorry about your dog, but it's hardly their fault.

7 1 Reply
banfield hospital

Mar 18, 2009 #54125

they said and you said they might have been the cause...dont blame them. fixed income. what about a credit card if you love him that much.

4 3 Reply
JamesRoudon

Mar 09, 2009 #53414

Vets take an OATH, much like a doctors OATH to prevent suffering of animals. Therefore they SHOULD be compassionate and not put the almighty dollar before doing what they CLAIM to be there for. SHAME on any of you that defends a vet for wanting MONEY over helping pets.

2 13 Reply
irritated vet tech

Feb 22, 2009 #52432

So, when you go to work, school, the grocery store, or visiting family or friends, and you get sick do you blame them? Do you demand they pay for your cold remedies or dr's visit co-pays. How about any lost wages from staying home, or better yet pain and suffering? Clearly you must have gotten that illness somewhere right?
You took you dog to a veterinary office, they see animals who may be sick (parvo) or animals who may be shedding viruses but healthy. Do you really think they have any control over that.
Parvo takes 3-14 days after exposure to cause illness. Your dog could have picked it up on a walk, at the pet store, from a friend's pet, or from you (on your shoes).
They did not "let" your dog die, they didn't treat your animal because you didn't have the money to pay for it. Does the grocery store let you leave with a cart full of groceries and pay them back bit by bit?
Treatment for parvo can become very expensive and take a long time.
We have had a couple cases that we hospitalized for 10+ days due to secondary infection and problems.
How do you think they pay for the dr's and tech time, supplies used, overnight care, antibiotics, anti-vomiting and anti-diarrhea meds, plasma transfusions, IV catheter and fluids, blood work,etc.
I am sorry yoyr dog died, but I'm sorrier that your dog had the bad luck to have an owner on a fixed income.
Emergencies and unplanned expenses happen with pets. Don't blame
... Show more

16 1 Reply
Vet Tech

Feb 12, 2009 #51842

I realise *** upsetting this was for you, but there is always a risk of parvo anywhere you take your animal especially when you take your animal to a place where sick animals go and are. This wasn't their "fault" and I am sure they were devastated by having to tell you no! It is the hardest thing as a veterinary technician to do. We are all there to help animals not hurt them. I felt the same way before I got in the proffession every Dr should treat every animal no matter what! Since then I have watched two Dr.'s go bankrupt by treating every animal that came through the door with payment or not. I have watched owners that have signed "payment plans" break in and steal their animals back before payment. We were even held at gunpoint by one owner because we were treating his dog and wanted the first payment before he went home. The first payment was only for a portion of our costs in supplies for his pet. Banfield does offer payment plans also. You have to contact the corporate offices in Portland though most local hospitals are not aware of it! They have treated a friend of mines dog 3 times on payment plans. My sympathy goes out to you it is never easy when you lose a family member

6 0 Reply
yokondon62

Feb 07, 2009 #51655 Idaho City, Idaho, United States

He was going in for his last 17 week parvo shot, and his first rabies shot, plus mirco-chip. All his shots where up to date. The week before he was nutered, so his system might have been alittle low. But we did everything possible. My point is he contacted it at Banfield.

1 6 Reply
LeAnna

Feb 06, 2009 #51599

Good Point. No vaccination for Parvo could have been what put him at risk

1 0 Reply
Booo7099

Feb 05, 2009 #51554

I am sorry for your loss...I'm wondering was he vaccinated for parvo?

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.