3.4K views

i too had a similar insident that actually happened yesterday.my dog was pregnant and she wasn\'t giving birth, she was pushing but nothing was coming out.

i was scared for her live so i had taken her to banfield hospital. at the time the only place that was open was banfield. we went there and they said she had a puppy the size of a lab and my dog is a chihuahua. they told us we had to do a c-section or the dog and puppy would die.

they said it would cost 1,500. i didn\'t have that kind of money. i tried to see if we could do payments, but they said since we wern\'t one of their regular customers we couldn\'t. and i tried to raise my pet care card but they wouldn\'t raise it either.

i had no choice. they said the only choice i had was to sign her over to them and they would do the operation but find her a new home if she lived. at the time i was so sad, why can\'t i keep my dog, why? because i didn\'t have that kind of money, i had to sign her over to the hospital.

it was like signing over your kid to an adoption place.me and my husband cried so long. we asked if they knew what adoption place they send the dogs to, but they would not tell us. why? i mean if they are going to send the dog to a adoption place and people are going to buy the dog, why can\'t we?

why because we didn\'t pay the 1,500, but when they sell our dog to someone else for $500, we can\'t buy her back? funny isn\'t it. anyways we had to sign her over to the hospital because they gave her a shot that helped her with her contractions and they said if the baby didn\'t come out within 30 to 45 minutes after they gave her the shot that she needs a c-section or she will die. me and my husband cried so long but we said we had no choice.

we either let her die or sign her over so they could operate and she could live. we didn\'t want our baby to die so we signed her over. we asked if we could wait and see if the operation went well, but they would not let us stay. they said once we signed her over we had to leave and we could not know anything about her or where she went or if she made it.

i thought to myself what the ****. how could these people be so cruel. do these people even have a heart. do they even have animals.makes me think that maybe these people working here like you vicky, only want your pay check.

i mean if i was working there i would secretly tell the customer because i care, even if i was breaking the rules. i had like 4 different people that was helping me with my dog and not even one would tell me. all i wanted was to stay and see how the operation went and if it was bad if i could buy my dogs ashes back and keep them. they said we have to leave.

so many things were going through my head. are these people really going to do the operation or are they gonna just leave my dog in one of there cages and leave her there until she gives birth or die. one nurse did tell me she\'ll let me know if my dog lived or died. i left at 11:00pm and she said call her an hour in a half later.

is the operation only an hour and a half? anyways, i called her and she said my dog lived and the puppy died. i don\'t know if i trust her or not though. i\'m searching for the adoption place that banfield sends the dogs that are signed over to them, if anyone knows please help.

even if i can\'t have my dog back i just want to know if she\'s alive or dead. i wan\'t to see her body to see if they did try to help her or if they did the operation or not, then my heart will be at ease. why couldn\'t they let me stay and see how she was before i went home. why wouldn\'t they tell me if she made it or not?

i had a nurse secretly tell me. if she told me the truth or not i don\'t know for certain.

she said she did make it so i am in search for the adoption place they send the dogs now.if anyone knows please help, thanks.

Review about: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Had an Experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?

Comments

My friend is going through the same thing tonight..I've been researching but nothing..

I believe she's going to die.. I'm so sad.. She's a pit bull & she doesn't know what to do..

All of her puppies are dead 3 out 4 inside..I'm so pissed

This does not sound right at ALL!It seems they could have taken a down payment, something, to help you keep your dog.

Either they are outright heartless thieves, or maybe they felt the dog was mistreated, and this was their way of keeping her from you. Questions I have are why is she not spayed? If her pup was the size of a lab, then how did she get pregnant? Obviously not by another chihuahua, so if she is not a breeder, she should be spayed, irresponsible to just let her get bred.

Make no mistake, I am sorry for your loss, and horrified at how the hospital treated you.Anonymous

Oh KY goodness, I just dropped my baby off at the one in columbia and they have charged me over 300.00 in the past few days, I don't trust them bcz you sign your life away just checking your pet in. I'm going to find another vet asap. Thanks for sharing I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Also to add to my post below.

This really is not an unexpected emergency.If people would actually research before breeding, they would know that C Sections are common in small breeds, especially when you bred the female to a male who's even a pound bigger.

If the dog would have been examined by a vet and had xrays taken during the last week like they should have, they would know if the pups were to big to come naturally.

Dogs are pregnant for roughly 63 days.So again, this isn't an unexpected emergency.

When you signed the paper to surrender her to the hospital, it specifically states that you cannot have updates or get her back.

The reason for the contract when you surrender is because people will try to get the dog back once they are cured.How is that fair?

A majority of the time, when you surrender the hospital isn't the one paying for services. It's the staff taking money out of their own pockets. So if you couldn't afford care in the first place and had to surrender, why should you be allowed to re adopt for a quarter of the price of the treatment they provided?

Most of the time the pets who are surrendered don't go to a rescue.The staff finds them loving homes on their own.

I really don't see why people are bashing banfield here. She couldn't afford the c section and without it the pet would die.

They could've just Said "sorry we can't help you" and sent her away, but they didn't. They offered a solution. The people CHOSE to surrender her.

This is why just anyone shouldn't be allowed to breed.

If you can't afford a csection, which is common in small breeds, then spay your dog! Alot more goes into breeding than just sticking two dogs together.

To those saying they should have done payment plans. Most vet clinics, including private practices, do not do payment plans because people STILL didn't pay. Vet offices are a business.

If they treated every pet for free who's owner couldn't afford care,...

Again, veterinary offices are a business. They should be paid for services they provide. Would you go to a grocery store and expect them to let you make payments? No.

If people came into your work and couldn't afford something, would you do/give it to them for free? No.

Do you expect to be paid at work?Yes.

to Anonymous #1205219

Ok, So, You say that the Staff or Someone else pays for the Surgery !!!OK.

Here's my argument. If the Hospital/Vet is willing to Discount the cost for the Staff/Whoever, why can't they Discount it for the Owner of the Pet ??? I dont know what i would do if I was faced with this situation ???. My Dog is my BEST FRIEND, And I love her more than ANYONE on this crazy Planet !!

And I would do ANYTHING to save her life(including giving my own) And I know it sounds crazy for someone to put their pets life ahead of their own, But I do !!.

And being FORCED to give up my pet or it would die because of someone's greed !!??Ohh Boy, !!!!!!!!!!

to Anonymous #1205417

Having worked for Banfield several years ago let me tell you that staff only get a minimal discount on the prices the public pays (typically about 20% off), so they are still paying a large chunk of money out of their own pockets FOR SOMEONE ELSES' *** PET - and typically they have to 'donate' their time for the surgery/treatments so that the hospital doesn't have to turn away paying clients so a staff member pet can be seen!!For staff to do this is really nice of them - so it's super *** of someone to bash them for that.

The real problem here is that people own pets and don't think ahead about what to do in case of an emergency. Most Vets typically don't do payment plans anymore because people lie and never come back to pay. Sad fact but get used to it. To expect a business to donate or give you free services because you have poor planning is ridiculous.

There are so many options out there, get pet insurance (it costs like $30 a month), have a credit card you could put emergency expense on, apply for care credit (a credit line that can be used for medical/veterinary expenses), or even just ask a family member or friend. PLAN AHEAD people.

Don't expect handouts from everyone.

Here's my logical answer after reading this post and all the comments.

If you can't financially afford to have a pet or child. Don't get a pet and don't get pregnant with a child, as both will most likely cost you a great deal of money over the years.

to Anonymous #1102260

Anonymous if you don't have the balls to place your name on your *** comment...don't comment.... Vets are not vets any longer they are butchers. In it for the money not for the well being at your pet.

to Anonymous #1102720

They were OBVIOUSLY in it for the well being of the pet.They had her sign the pet over because she could not afford a c section.

If she didn't have that, she would have died.

They didn't have to let her sign it over.They didn't have to pay out of their pockets for the cost of care but they did so the dog could live